Building a New Home 

                                                                                                                        
I had moved into a new house unfortunately it had no garage as the car was on the bottom of the list for accommodating for, however there was plenty of space for the project on the side of the house.




I had the car transported from the old house to the new one. I briefly considered building a garage on the side of the house next to the MX5. However I decided it would be too expensive and time consuming to build as well as potential planning permission problems (as the house was already heavily extended). I came to the conclusion that a car port would be more suitable.



With the project in mind I pushed the car around performing a 3 point turn. The plan was to build the carport on the side of the house with the MX5 next to it. This would make it to easier to build by having the two cars side by side. I could simply transfer the engine and transmission from the MX5 and drop it straight into the Haynes Roadster chassis.

I covered up the MX5 and began construction of the carport by using some 4" x 4" timber, some concrete and bolt down post supports. I then used masonry screws to fix a support rail to the wall, which I had cut slots into for the 12ft roof beams to fit into. After that I put staggered joints down the center of the roof and painted it all with some fence paint. The total area it covers about 4 and a bit metres by 3.3 metres. 






Having built the carport frame I attached several sheets of corrugated PVC. I also got a semi complete Haynes Roadster chassis, shortly after finishing the roof I popped that under there. 



Approximate Carport Build Cost

Timber (4" x 4" posts and 2" x 4" x 12ft) = £100
Paint = £10
3x post bolt down supports = £21
Postcrete = £10
Timber screws = £5
Concrete bolts = £5
Masonry screws = £10
Drill bit = £5
Plastic corrugate sheets = £85
Corrugate fixings = £10
Flashband = £7
Guttering = £20
Drain piping and soak away gravel = £15

Total = £303

With the car moved and new home built the project could start moving along again.

No comments:

Post a Comment