Stripping the MX5 Part 2.2: Interior 

                                                                                                                    

After pretty much finishing the carport, aside from the guttering, which I would sort out later on, work on stripping the MX5 could continue.



I carried on with the interior using the help of a useful pdf online MX5 dash removal guide
as well as great book I had: Mazda MX-5 Miata 1.8: Enthusiast's Workshop Manual. I had removed more of the dash the heating / AC control unit, the steering wheel, instrument gauges / dials and then instrument hood. 

I found the instrument hood difficult to remove because after removing all the screws you have to pull it out. Its attached by some arrow shaped trim clips, I had to pull it quite hard to remove it. I was reluctant to pull it too hard as it felt like I was going to snap the plastic.



I removed all the bolts for the main dash board and rocked it back and forth until it began to loosen and eventually come free.




Next I got the blower and A/C units out of the passenger side. Luckily the A/C had already previously been removed from the engine bay so no need to worry about purging the gas.




I then removed the heater unit after the coolant had been drained.



With the heater unit out of the way the main carpet could be removed. I had thought about cutting a line from the gear stick underneath the heater unit to remove it but decided to just wait till it was all out the way.




Next with the carpet out of the way the metal panel in the foot well on the passenger side could be unbolted revealing the ECU behind it. I disconnected and unhooked all the dash wiring, labeling everything as I went.




I ended up with a big ball of wires. It's amazing this is just under a 1/4 of the whole car wiring loom. I'm not sure how its all going to fit into the Roadster yet but I'll have to wait and see.




The gear stick and the gaiter boot was removed for preparation of the engine lift at some point in the future.



I left the doors and the hood on to keep out any rainwater from filling up the foot well. With pretty much all of the interior now removed I could move on to removing the mechanical parts of the car. 

No comments:

Post a Comment