Stripping the MX5 Part 3: Engine Bay


                                                                                                                                  
The engine bay was grubby but then again most are. The cam cover and intake manifold were nicely polished at one point but had began to oxidise, which I'd deal with later on. I wasn't sure where to start first. So I decided the easiest thing to do was to start on the right side of the bay as there were less components and more space to work with. I began by removing the air intake.




With the air intake out the way I removed the custom heat shield for it. I unbolted the screen wash. Unplugged all the wiring on the right side of the bay and again labeling it as I went. I had previously removed both front flip lights as well as the side lights when stripping the front bumper. However I'd left the flip mechanism in place so that now came out.



The AC pulley and pump had already been removed by the previous owner, which meant I didn't have to deal with any nasty gas or remove it. When stripping the interior I'd already taken off the hoses which went to the heater. I simply pulled both, the A/C and heater, through the bulkhead.



I'd forgotten to remove the window wiper motor but I'd eventually get around to taking it out. However at the time I decided to leave the steering pump reservoir attached. I thought it would be easier to drain it off at the same time when I drained the engine oil and transmission fluid.

Next I unplugged and unbolted the radiator and attached fans, having already drained it when I removed the interior heater.



Again the main headlight had already been removed but the wiring and left flip light mechanism were still in place so I removed it and then pushed the cables over the side of the car out of the way.




Off came the coolant reservoir.



Off came the brace bar, charcoal canister, fuel pressure gauge and the accelerator cable. I made sure to label all the hoses so I didn't get confused as to what pipe went where later on.




I'd left the bonnet loosely attached and propped up by a bar to provide shade from the sun while I was working on the engine bay, it also helped keep it dry from the rain. 



Next it was time to get under the car and finish unplugging / unbolting everything connected to the engine and transmission so that they could be lifted out.

No comments:

Post a Comment