Stripping the MX5 Part 4.2: Removing the Engine 

                                                                                                                   
I'd removed pretty much everything that I needed to get the engine out. I unbolted the bonnet, which I'd kept on to help keep everything dry. I didn't need the front of bumper support so that was chopped off to provide more work space. It also meant I didn't have to lift it up and over, I could lift it free of the mounts and pull it straight out. 



In an attempt to save money I used the seat belts to lift the engine. I would have been a lot easier using proper lifting chain and a load leveler but the belts and rope worked fine. Anyway I unbolted the two nuts under the front subframe and started lifting slowly, checking the clearance regularly.





With the engine and transmission clear of the car I could drop it temporarily in the Haynes Roadster chassis on wood and bricks till I got around to making the mounts. Until then I would continue to strip the MX5.

No comments:

Post a Comment