Stripping the MX5 Part 5.1: Rear Subframe

                                                                                                                                         
I needed the differential for the kit car build, I thought it would be simpler to just remove the entire rear subframe instead of working under the car to get it out. Removing it is very straight forward, having already removed the PPF there are only three nuts on each side and then two nuts on each shock strut. The nuts under the car were pretty tough to remove, a combination of heat, penetrating oil and a breaker bar helped get them off.  

With the subframe loose I jacked up the car slowly, gradually revealing the separation gap  between the body and subframe. I kept jacking up the car incremental on each side and supporting the body with bricks underneath as I went along. Eventually the gap was big enough for the subframe to be simply rolled out underneath.





The shock absorbers needed to be removed first to allow the subframe to be rolled out, as well as disconnecting the handbrake cable and rear brake line.





I began pushing the subframe out until it was completely free. I had to support the front of it as it would sag forward due to it being front heavy. 






With the subframe now free from under the car I could continue stripping it easily without any space restriction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment